Clerk of the District Court
Ex-Officio Auditor and Recorder
Power County Courthouse
543 Bannock Ave.
American Falls, ID 83211
Phone: (208) 226-7611
Fax: (208) 226-7612
Hours: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday
Responsibilities & Duties:
The Clerk of the District Court serves as ex-officio Auditor and Recorder and ex-officio Clerk of the Board of County Commissioners (Idaho Code §31-2001).
As ex-officio Auditor, this individual is responsible to draw warrants (Idaho Code §31-2301), examine and settle debts to the county (Idaho Code §31-2303), keep accounts current with the Treasurer (Idaho Code §31-2304 & 2306), issue an annual financial statement of the county (Idaho Code §31-2307), and perform such other duties as prescribed by law (Idaho Code §31-2309).
As ex-officio Recorder, the Clerk is responsible (Idaho Code §31-2402) to record:
- Deeds, grants, transfers and mortgages or real estate, releases of mortgages, powers of attorney to convey real estate and leases which have been acknowledged or proved, and transcripts of judgments or decrees which affect the title or possession of real property, including water rights, any part of which is situate in the county of which the person is the recorder.
- Certificates of marriage and marriage contracts
- Wills admitted to probate
- Official bonds
- Notices of mechanics’ liens
- Transcripts of judgments which by law are made liens upon real estate
- Notices of attachments upon real estate
- Notices of the pendency of an action affecting real estate, the title thereto or possession thereof
- Instruments describing or relating to the separate property of married women
- Notices of preemption claims
- Certified copies of any petition, with the schedules omitted, filed in, and certified copies of any order or decree made or entered in, any proceeding under the National Bankruptcy Act
- Financing statements under the Uniform Commercial Code which cover timber to be cut, minerals or the like (including oil and gas), and accounts subject to Subsection (5) of Idaho Code §28-9-103
- Notice of order of a general adjudication in conformance with Idaho Code §42-1408
- Such other writings are required or permitted by law to be recorded
Other writings required or permitted by law would include: various indexes (Idaho Code §31-2404 & 31-2405), certificates of sale (Idaho Code §31-2406), and various other records.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Turnover to the Taxing Districts
Managing Fund Balances
Quarterly and Year-end Reports
Employee benefits and file management
Internal Department Auditing
Reconciling monthly statements
Responsibilities and Duties:
The Recording of all county documents, including but not limited to Deeds, Mortgages, Liens, Judgments, etc. In addition to recording the documents, they are microfilmed and indexed.
The issuance of all county marriage licenses.
The issuance of all county alcohol licenses.
Acceptance of all passport applications.
Responsible for the preparation and mailing of all county bills.
Maintenance of all county records for the public’s use such as: corner perpetuations, survey plats, subdivision plats, and all microfilmed and scanned documents.
Aid people in genealogy research by teaching them how to use our books for their research.